Monday, May 23, 2011

Excuse Me, While I Take a Moment to Vent

Facebook has truly transformed into a dating site. I'm constantly hearing stories about people meeting on facebook and getting married. I'm sorry if I offend anyone who's met their husband that way, that's great that it worked out for yall, but that is not how I want my fairy tale to happen. I can't imagine in the future iA, my children asking me, "mommy where did you and daddy meet?" and my answer being, "on facebook." Don't get me wrong, i'm not judging anyone who's done that, but I personally am not okay doing it myself. Today i opened up my facebook to find a rather detailed message from a man I have no connection with what so ever. He proceeded to tell me that my profile picture got his attention and that he'd like to get to know me. He also continued to analyze all the things we had in common through my facebook information. This really made me ask the question, why do I have a facebook? Facebook used to be a way to keep in touch with friends, but now it's turned into a way to stalk acquaintances or even strangers. For some, it's also a way to meet a spouse. It's so interesting how people see a profile picture of someone they've never met and they begin to develop feelings for that person. I wonder if people take into consideration that maybe that person doesn't really look like that in reality or maybe that person is a psychotic serial killer that just happens to look good. Maybe, I'm exaggerating, but I don't find it attractive when a guy tries to get to know me after simply seeing my profile picture. Im more than just my looks. A lot of factors go into a compatible relationship between two people and looks are not the most important factor. Another issue I have is when Muslim guys that claim to be "good Muslim brothers" attempt to date you online pretty much, after not lowering their gaze at your profile picture and proceeding to tell you how good you look while throwing in a couple Alhamdulilahs and SubhanAllahs here and there. Once again I'm not judging, but if you want a girl to truly get to know you for the sake of marriage in a halal way, than respect her. On that note,  I'm out, and inshAllah i'll be making changes soon to my facebook to control this issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment